It is not unknown how curious toddlers are. Once they get the chance, the babies start checking every nook and corner of the house; start climbing on every possible thing available.
And while it’s always wonderful to see your kiddo explore the world and develop their motor skills, it’s also equally important to ensure that your child is safe and secure. That is why one of the most important things for every parent is to child proof drawers. However, what IS the best way to baby proof drawers? Or preferably, without drills or much equipment?
So today, we’ve decided to share with you a couple of great and simple ways you can baby proof drawers without drilling and much hassle. So let’s find out!
Importance Of Baby Proofing Drawers
Babies will never know which places are off-limits or which objects can harm them. Thus, it’s a sad reality that about 2,200 children die every year due to home accidents, and many more sustain injuries.
And there are many things around the house that can injure your baby – they can get their fingers pinched, injure themselves while exploring the knives in your kitchen cabinets, or may accidentally swallow some of the pills or small objects from the drawers. That is why baby proofing kitchen drawers, or any drawer in the house, really, is so important for the child safety at home.
And how to baby proof drawers is a serious topic that should be a priority for your child’s well-being. So then without further ado, let’s find out more about what you’ll need to baby proof drawers and cabinets of your house!
Ways to Baby Proof Drawers
Before you begin baby proofing drawers of your home, you must get familiar with certain equipment and ways. Here are some basic yet popular ways to baby proof drawers without drilling.
- 12 LOCKS and 2 KEYS:Vmaisi Baby Proofing Adhesive Magnetic Cabinet Locks, Child Safety for Drawers and Cabinets
- WORKS FOR MOST CABINETS AND DRAWERS: Baby proofing magnetic cabinet locks work on cabinets and drawers door for childproof. Use them in the kitchen, bathroom, pantry room, storage area, and bedroom
- INVISIBLE FROM OUTSIDE: Cabinet Locks install inside cabinets or drawers, concealed from children and guests, making your home more appealing, while cabinet locks child safety also providing ideal child protection
- KEEP YOUR BABY SAFE: The magnetic baby safety lock is to keep your curious little kids away from drawers and cupboards filled with dangerous tools with simple, Baby safety cabinet locks allowing you to have peace of mind while your children explore your home
- MAGNETIC LOCKING SYSTEM: Baby Safety Magnetic cabinet locks install on the inside of your cabinet or drawer. The fixings are secured with tape to keep your locks in place. Magnetic keys are provided to disengage the locks. Should you misplace the keys, any strong magnet can be used to disengage the lock
The easiest way by which you can child proof drawers is by using locks. But if you do not know how to drill or don’t wanna take risks, you can use child proof drawers without screws. In this case, magnetic locks are the most convenient solution to keep all your drawers properly closed.
The system comprises a latch with a powerful magnet you place inside the drawer. And that way, it won’t be so easy to open the drawer anymore – it will unlock only with you bring a companion magnet to it.
- Multi-purpose tension rod for shower stalls, bathtubs, closets, windows, changing areas and more
- 7/8 inch diameter with 1.4 inch rubber end cap finials that provide traction and a sturdy hold when extended between two walls; adjustable from 78 to 108 inches
- Durable, lightweight metal construction
- Nickel finish; can be easily matched to existing accessories and décor
- Easy installation; no tools or hardware needed
Do your drawers have handles? Then using a tension rod will be the best solution to baby proof dresser drawers. And the great thig is that you can use them even after installing dresser locks! Just make sure that the tension rods have rubber ends. Also, secure it well so that they can’t be easily pulled out by your toddler.
The great thing about tension rods we like is that this is a pretty available and cheap method. If you have been thinking about how to baby proof dresser drawers without damaging any furniture, tension rods are a great way to do so.
- CABINET AND DRAWER LOCKS: Dreambaby Secure Catches are a durable, easy to install childproofing solution that help keep little fingers safer from harm by firmly securing most household cupboards and drawers.
- SLEEK DESIGN: Our Secure Catches are designed to be hidden from view and preserve the look of your elegant cabinets & drawers.
- EASY FOR ADULTS, DIFFICULT FOR CHILDREN: They provide quick access for adults while making it difficult for children to get into cupboards and drawers that may contain harmful objects.
- SIMPLE & EASY TO USE: Just pull the drawer slightly and press down on the catch to open. To engage, simply slide the drawer closed and it will lock automatically.
- WHERE TO USE: They are suitable for use on the top or side of most cabinets. Secure Catches are also suitable for use on top drawers. They may be used on lower drawers where there is a top divider to which the catch may be fitted.
Here’s another simple method to baby proof drawers! Latch locks work by attaching a latch near the top of the drawer that will hook the top piece.
Thus, with them, the drawer will not open after it’s pulled – you will only need to latch it. So add one to your drawers, and you’ll never have to worry about baby safety for drawers.
Another very common question a lot of parents ask is how to childproof drawers using DIY techniques? Let’s see some of the best methods!
Ribbon or Rope
How to baby proof dresser drawers easily? Just use a rope or ribbon or some cotton cord to tie around the drawers that you want to keep closed.
You can also get some pipe cleaners and wrap them around the handles of the cabinets. You need to wrap it in the same way as you would do it with a cord lock. A speedy and easily removable process, using pipe cleaners is a great way for securing cabinets from toddlers.
Need a way to baby proof cabinets without drilling? When you have some cabinets that you normally don’t use, using zip ties can be very helpful to secure them.
Extra Tips for Additional Security
When you plan to child proof drawers, you’ll need to keep in mind several things and hacks:
- If you need a budget way to baby proof drawers, you might want to pay attention to magnetic locks. These are cheaper and easier to install.
- You will need to hardware mount some locks. And if you live in a rented house, your landlord may not allow you to modify the furniture. So, check that well ahead before buying any locks.
- Always pay special attention to the lock you’re picking. After all, you’ll be using cabinets on daily basis, so it’s important that the lock doesn’t make it difficult to use the drawer.
- Even if you have the baby safety for drawers installed, always remember to keep dangerous objects away from your little munchkin’s reach. These include:
- Any sharp objects like scissors or knives
- Plastic carry bags
- Other items that are considered choking hazards
Parents tend to think a lot about childproofing the house. But once you identify the places that you need to secure and choose the locks carefully, your curious toddler is all set to have a fun-filled and safe childhood while exploring new objects! Thus, why it’s so important to learn how to baby proof drawers, and secure your house! And we sincerely hope that our little guide helped you out with that!
So, have you ever tried baby proofing drawer? Perhaps you even have a method you’d love to recommend? Then feel free to share it in the comments below!