Shopping for a baby is so exciting! New parents enjoy filling up carts with cute things like baby washcloths, toys, clothes, bedding, diapers, etc. But what about burp cloths? Many first-time parents overlook or miscalculate them while burp cloths are a huge necessity.
So, what is a burp cloth? How many burp cloths do you need? This guide will provide you with answers! We’ll also discuss whether there are any alternatives to burp cloths, how to choose high-quality items, how many burp cloths to buy concerning your baby’s age, and how to wash them properly.
What Is Burp Cloth?
Veteran parents are sure that no feeding process is complete without burping a baby, especially during the first 4-6 months of their life. Little ones swallow air when eating, and it can lead to discomfort in their tummies. Burping a child helps to get rid of air. If you are lucky, your baby will only produce gas, but small amounts of milk are often regurgitated. This is normal! However, what you really need in such a situation is a burp cloth – it’s an essential part of caring for your baby and your own T-shirts, of course!
So, what is exactly a burp cloth? A burp cloth or burp rag is a specially designed piece of material that you’ll drape over your shoulder or your lap, depending on how you burp your little one. It’s made to absorb liquids, e.g., spits, spits, vomits, and keep them off your outfit. They come in a variety of textures, colors, and patterns, but more importantly, burp cloths are versatile and functional items. These remain useful even after your infant has grown into a toddler.
And there are also a few creative ways to use a burp cloth:
- It’s great for wiping a diaper-rashed bottom
- Super for cleaning off the kid and any surface
- You can use it as a replacement for changing pads, cloth diapers, or baby bibs
Burp Cloths vs Washcloths vs Bibs: Is There Any Difference?
Many first-time moms get confused when they read about baby washcloths, bibs, and burp cloths. That’s because all these items absorb fluids well and serve more or less the same purpose. But let’s take a closer look at their differences!
- Burp cloths have better absorbent properties. They are larger, thicker, and more durable than washcloths and bibs.
- Washcloths are square cotton pieces designed to provide a safer clean to sensitive baby skin. You can also clean up baby messes with it. Washcloths are usually smaller and thinner than burp cloths.
- Bibs go around the kid’s neck and hang on the chest. Using bibs is super convenient when your baby is eating messy foods or drooling all the time due to teething. Bibs help to keep little ones’ clothing clean.
What Is the Best Material to Use for Burp Cloths?
Quality is more important than quantity! So, before asking “How many burp cloths do I need?”, let’s talk about the quality of these items!
When you choose textile for your little one, bear in mind that the skin allows many toxins to pass into the child through absorption. Besides, little skin is thinner and more sensitive than an adult’s skin. So, the quality should come first! It’s always better to opt for natural fibers over synthetics. The latter is especially a bad option for kids, since synthetics can be harsh on a child’s skin – restrict airflow and cause rashes. Natural fabrics are breathable, hypoallergenic, and feel great on a delicate kid’s skin. However, it’s not enough to see the label “organic” or “natural” on the item since that doesn’t address the question of the production process, where all the toxin contamination occurs. Look for GOTS or Oeko Tex certified materials, it guarantees that no harsh chemicals were used in the entire manufacturing process.
To sum up, opt for certified, organic burp cloths and rest assured that your little one is safe and comfortable.
What Is the Right Size for Burp Cloths?
A burp cloth must be of the right size so that you can comfortably drape it over the shoulder. 15-22 inches in length and 10-15 inches in width is a perfect size – it’ll effectively protect your back but won’t get stuck or tangled in other things as you walk around while nursing your little one.
How Many Burp Cloths Do You Need?
It’s always important to have enough burp cloths and a little extra. But “extra” doesn’t mean that you have to get a dozen of these! So, let’s find out how many burp cloths you really need.
How Many Burp Cloths For Newborn Babies?
First-time mommies are asking “ How many burp cloths do I need for a newborn?” Well, you’ll need a clean burp cloth every time you feed your baby. On average, a newborn feeds about 8 times in a 24-hour day, therefore, it’s about 8-10 burp cloths a day.
How Many Burp Cloths For Twins?
Naturally, you should double the number of burp cloths for twins. However, if you feed your kids one after another, you can reuse the same item if it’s clean. Overall, you’ll need not less than 15 burp cloths per day.
How Many Burp Cloths for the First Year and After?
You may ask “How many burp cloths do I need for baby during their first year and after? Do I really need them?” Well, during the first year of a baby’s life, a lot of spit-ups will occur, so you should stock about 30 burp cloths.
Furthermore, burp cloths also come in handy in toddlerhood, especially if your kid suffers from acid reflux. Besides, it’s not uncommon for toddlers to vomit if their little stomachs are too full. So, make sure you have at least 4 burp cloths.
How Many Burp Cloth do I Need: Summary Table
|Baby’s Age||The Number of Burp Cloths|
What Are The Best Baby Burp Cloths?
- Gerber Flannel Burp Cloths- there are 4 pieces in the pack. They’re made of natural cotton and are of a perfect size – 20in by 14in. Gerber burp cloths are also absorbent and easy to wash.
- Muslin Burp Cloths – the pack includes 6 burp cloths, they are of the highest quality and absorb spit-ups and liquids wonderfully. These burps also come in good size but may shrink a bit after you wash them.
- Copper Pearl Burp Cloths – the set has 3 burp cloths, they come in a pretty good size – 21×10 inches. These are also of premium quality – thick and absorbent.
- Burt’s Bees Burp Cloths – the pack includes 5 organic cotton, GOTS-certified burp cloths. They drape comfortably over the shoulder and are super absorbent.
How To Wash Burp Cloths
To keep the burp cloths hygienic and free from stains, you need to:
- Spray a burp cloth with spot remover
- Rub the burp cloth to remove stains out
- Leave it to sit for about 10 mins
- Use a delicate cycle and mild detergent to wash the burp cloth
- Let the burp cloth completely dry before using it again
Hopefully now you know the answer to the question “How many burp cloths do I need?”. All and all – it all comes down to how old your child is. And the younger your child is, the more burp cloths they will require. So keep this in mind, and always make sure to choose premium-quality materials – they must be natural, breathable, lightweight, and absorbent!
- 1 What Is Burp Cloth?
- 2 How Many Burp Cloths Do You Need?
- 3 What Are The Best Baby Burp Cloths?
- 4 How To Wash Burp Cloths
- 5 Conclusion